Thursday, March 27, 2008

Is It Really Worth It?

I've happened to "stumble" upon the new game show "Moment of Truth" the last couple of weeks, and while a part of me is very curious and quite interested in the show, another part of me cringes at certain points. The premise of the show is telling the truth, based on a lie detector test, and making lots money despite the fact that the truth has the ability to destroy every relationship that one may have. The truths that are revealed are very personal and the overall theme seems to be lies and betrayal. While it makes for good television, as I am guilty of watching, something is very wrong here. My biggest issue with the show is the family's, and especially the audience's, reaction to the announcement that the truth has been told. Here is an example:

The host: "Have you ever had sexual relations with the wife of one of your friends?"

The contestant: (after a much suspensful pause for effect) "yes."

The "voice": "That answer is.......true."
(the audience cheers as the contestant has just won $10,000.)

Now some of the questions are much more innocent that this, but even the contestant's supporters, who often consist of a spouse, girl/boyfriend, mom, dad, sibling, or best friend, are often seen applauding. And why??? The almighty dollar! Should we ever, for any reason, celebrate betrayal? I think not! While those who cheer may never admit to celebrating the actions of the individual, they are condoning it because of the monatary outcome it may provide for the contestant....disgusting!

And yes, Mom, I will probably continue to watch on occasion :)

While we're on the subject...Do you think it could ever be beneficial to keep a truth from someone you love, especially it the truth may hurt that person?

2 comments:

Cosmic Dominion said...

I know there isn't any good tv on lately since the writers strike. This is why we are renting old BBC tv shows from the library. Long live Mr. Bean

Amy said...

Haven't seen that one before, but I was glued to the set last night for the finale of THE APPRENTICE, becuz Trace Adkins was representing a big Food Allergy Network.
Hey, I tagged you on my blog.