Tuesday, June 10, 2008

My Gold Medalist

When I was around 10 years old I had convinced myself that I was going to be competing in the 1988 Summer Olympic Games as a gymnast. Shortly after, I decided that spending 5 days/week at the gym for hours at a time was not what I wanted to do. I wanted to be able to do other things (and hence becoming the jack of all trades, master of none, that I am). So those 7 years of gymnastics training went right down the tubes. But little did I know that I would someday have a son who would compete in the greatest "games" of all....the Special Olympics. Jacob competed today in his 3rd Olympics and came home with a gold and silver medal. He may not realize exactly what he has accomplished, but he makes Alex and I so proud. Watching these kids compete is an absolutely amazing experience. We enjoy it so much. If I wasn't so paranoid about putting pictures of my kids online, I would post a video of Jacob doing the 50 meter "stroll." (there was not much dashing involved :))Take my word for it...he was the cutest competitor there!

4 comments:

Jaime said...

I wish I could have been there!!

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Great job, Jacob.

I too am paranoid about putting pics of my kids online. Maybe sometime I can come over and see the "50 meter stroll". :-)

Duane said...

Karen and I enjoy reading your blogs. We love you and miss you. It is good to keep up with you and your family in this way.

Kit said...

Jenn, I just caught up on your blog after a long while. I'm SO glad that Jacob is going to get the services he needs this year. What town are you guys in? I thought you were still in the one the sem is in. Yea!!! about the potty training...I still have not trained Lucy and now she says that going on her potty is "too scary". Oh great! I thought girls were supposed to be easy to train!
Oh, and I have finally updated my blog after a long time! Hope to stay in better touch!
Have fun when your parents visit!