Wednesday, April 30, 2008

If Only I Could Read His Mind

I need some help distinguishing the motives of my 2 year old. Whenever he is misbehaving and I have completed my disciplinary action, he tends to find a way to make eye contact with me from his little "time-out spot," reaches out both hands, and in the sweetest (or most pathetic) little voice he says, "Momma, hug? hug?" So, my question is...is this manipulation or is he sincerely wanting to feel secure in my arms? Now, one would think that I have figured this kind of thing out by now...he is my third child, after all, but each is so different. I know that I am not going to scar my child by not immediately going over to him, but I would love to know what goes on in a 2 year old mind...as scary as it may be.

3 comments:

Brenda said...

Give that baby a hug--but, don't cut short or lessen the discipline. He must know that nothing he can do will stop you from loving him, BUT sin has consequences.

Carrie said...

I can't say for sure for Micah, but all I know is that Charis puts her sweet on BIG time when she's done something wrong. She has gotten into this, wave at mommy, say hi and I love you thing. It's always the same order and now it's my tip off that she's done something wrong. They figure that manipulation thing out quickly, I tell ya.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Brenda... give him the hug...but don't shorten the lesson. Reassure him you love him but that his actions have consequences that do not have to do with your love...