Friday, April 18, 2008

Just Call Me Mrs. Frugal

I just now got around to uploading our Easter pictures onto our computer, and in the process of deciding which ones to post to my myspace page I was reminded of something that I was quite proud of. Even though I may be guilty of wasting money here and there, like at Starbucks or the frequent run through a drive-thru for a fountain Dr. Pepper, I do have a desire to be frugal.

Shortly after Valentine's Day I began picking up little things for my kids' Easter baskets everytime I went into Target. I'm usually accomplishing this particular task the day before Easter, but I wanted to spread the expense out over a few weeks this time. Josiah and Micah love stuffed animals. They can pretend play with these "pals" for hours. So, they usually get some sort of stuffed bunny in their baskets. This year, I thought I would try something different. When all the Valentine's Day "stuff" was 90% off I found 2 cute little stuffed lions with hearts attached that contained some mushy Valentine's phrase. After some minor surgery, they looked like any other (red and purple) lion and the kids loved them. I got so excited when I saw the stuffed bunnies in the store Easter weekend and they were mostly between $5.99 and $15.99 and I only paid .50 for my lions.

This may be a normal situation for some of you moms (or dads) out there, but I don't usually plan this far in advance and it was quite exciting to see the savings. Hopefully this is the beginning of a new practice.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I have a drawer designated to these types of finds. Anytime I see something clearanced (esp. at target) that one of them would be into, I'll buy it & save it for such an occasion - bribery or holiday, etc.
I also do this for other kids' birthdays, etc. And I always have a gift on-hand.
Almost everything in the Easter baskets this year was a clearanced, stretched across almost a year.
I also buy stuff after holiday & save it for the following holiday. I just stick it in the rubbermaid tote of decor for that particular holiday & store it away 'til the following year.
Oops, sorry for the novel.