Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Exercising Patience

About three weeks ago, Alex and I began the grueling process of potty training our youngest son, Micah. I know there are many "potty programs" out there, a few of which promise to achieve the goal in one day. Well, we have never admitted to being experts on the subject and its never happened for us in one day. We began by doing the same thing we had done with Josiah...quitting diapers cold turkey (except for naptime and bedtime, of course). Jacob has required a much different approach. He sits on the potty on a schedule, and after almost 2 years of starting the training, he still does not communicate to us he needs to go, so the scheduled approach has stayed in place. With Josiah, and now with Micah, we purchased a butt-load (no pun intended) of underwear and play the rest by ear. Reinforcers such as candy and "wicked" cool toys have played a major role.

Well, the first week (with Micah)...no results, except for killing a few brain cells with all the Resolve that was used. The second week...about 3-4 successful number 1's. The third week...about 4-5 completely independent number 1's and 3 completely independent number 2's. I have been very pleased with the results. This is all being done on a little potty that I keep in our living area of the house downstairs. Our one and only bathroom is upstairs. But, during this process I came to realize that he was more likely to NOT have an accident if he was naked "down there." But, now we are to the point where he only goes independently if he has nothing on. With underwear on, he has accidents. So, thats where we are in the potty process. Any advice?

3 comments:

Amy said...

That's exactly how Flynn was. She was completely horrified to "go" accidentally on the floor. So, she wouldn't. Now, with a diaper, she will still go ahead & potty (not so much number 2).
With undies, she was less likely, but not horrified, to toilet in them.

I say do what works, that's my advice.

We're not actively training Gabe. But are rejoicing if he sits & goes on the potty. I'd love him to be trained but am not sold on the idea that he's ready.

I keep telling myself that he's only 2 & that we have some time left. My secret goal is this summer. Esp if I return to teaching in the fall. A potty trained kid would be a nice gift to a sitter.

O yah, my response to your comment on my last post:
I loathe & despise Walmart w/ every fiber of my being.
My standing joke is that I'd rather have a pap smear than shopt there.

Good luck w/ the pottying!

JoAnna said...

Since this post is from last month, I'm not sure if you will see my comment, but here goes:
Lincoln did the EXACT same thing!! We litterally just kept his little bottom bare at home... pull up for nap, sometimes naked for nap (depending on what he wanted). The nakedness wasn't so understood by people that would randomly drop by, but that's what you get when you "drop by" right? Anyway, it took probably 3 months altogether before he was good to go with undies on. In public (which we are ALL the time) we just took him to the bathroom as often as we could, and peed outside EVERY time we could!! He still pees on the car tire in parking lots and he's 4 1/2. :) That is one SUPER advantage to having boys. They can pee anywhere. Keylor is an entirely different story. Link wanted to be potty trained. Keylor does NOT. She turned 3 in January. Ahem. Yeah, so a week ago, I just told her (firmly) that is is now wearing underwear, period. Her reply? "my pullups all gone?" I'm like, Dang it, "ummm... no, but it's time" all the while wondering WHY I couldn't have thought ahead to sneak in and grab those stupid pullups!!?? She asked for them repeatedly the first day, but now has accepted that she wears underwear. We are averaging one accident per day. She is such an individual though... my advice (in a nutshell - now that you've read a novel)??

Keep him naked.
Teach him to pee standing on things like trees and tires.
Make it fun and he'll catch on soon. :)

JoAnna said...

okay, so just in case you actually do see the previous comment, let me clarify the ending:

That should have read:
Teach him to stand up and pee on things like trees and tires.

I re-read and had a mental picture of a tiny boy perched on top of some bush!