Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Things That Excite A Working Mother of Three

However mundane this post may be to some of you, I thought I would go ahead with it. Here it goes: I am not the most disciplined person on this planet, so I struggle on a daily basis with getting behind and becoming overwhelmed with things like housework, laundary, paying bills, grocery shopping, etc. I don't like that about myself and I often daydream about having it "all together." How much nicer life would be... But, to be honest, I don't long for perfection in this area...I just want to be on top of things to the best of my ability, and I know I have not been giving it my all. Now, I'm not asking for you to analyze me and try to figure out the "whys" and "hows" of my behavior (although feel free if you want to take the time :)), I just thought I would ask my readers (however few it may be) to help "share your wealth" of knowledge/experience, especially where housekeeping is concerned. Do you have any daily chore that helps keep you caught up throughout the week? Any advise on grocery shopping, keeping up with the laundary, or being able to get to bed before midnight? What motivates you to get movin? And I'm hoping that this will benefit more than me. Please tell me that you are not all perfect. :)

I will start:
I set my kitchen timer for 5/10/15 minutes, however much time I've got at that particular moment, and do something in each room of my house. Its amazing how much you can accomplish in just 5 minutes.

6 comments:

JoAnna said...

I fold laundry straight out of the dryer and put it right away. It really doesn't take much time, you save yourself all the pile ups on the couch/bed/floor, no wrinkles and IT'S DONE!

Grocery Shopping?
1. keep an on-going list on the side of the fridge that I add to the moment I realize I need something
2. re-write the list according to store and lay-out of walmart
3. organize coupons according to order on the list.

That may seem like a pain and a lot of fore work, but after many stress induced meltdowns over shopping... I put the plan into place. Oh, can't forget #4!

4. send hubby for anything forgotten!

EXCELLENT IDEA, having us list our tips. I can't wait to read them all and get better organized! :) THANKS!

Cosmic Dominion said...

Jenn, I posted a album of photos on Facebook to cheer you up regarding this topic. I made the album private so only you and Cameron can see it.

Jenn said...

Joanna, I also started the "fold the laundary immediately from the dryer" a short time ago. But, it stays on a table in my basement. I've got to work on the putting it away step.

Ashley, thanks for posting the photos :) So, I'm not alone :) Just another challenge we mothers of autistic children have to deal with. (see how I try to place the blame elsewhere?)

Jaime said...

Like joanna I have a list on the refrig. and when I run out of something I go straight to the refrig and write it down. Also the first thing I do in the morning is make the beds. It just makes the room look clean even if it isn't. I try not to leave anything in the sink at night. Just do what you can without stress. Maybe do a good clean once a month and then it will be easier to maintain (except the laundry that has to be done everyday). Regarding bill paying, as soon as a bill comes in I pay it as long as it is due during that budget. Get on a budget if your not! I don't know how I used to live without one. It makes the financial part of your life so much less stressful. It may take some time (which is hard to come by) to get it together and get it started, but it is worth it. Hope there are some helpful ideas here.

Anonymous said...

I just have to try this to see if it happens. I love your blogs. Please, Please, Please don't stop.
Let me know if this goes through.
Ellyn

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenn, I just started reading your blogs and this is actually the first one I read. I understand the trying to keep up with everything and I don't even work and I only have two kids if you don't count the husband ;-)! Anyway, I did want to say that I keep clorox wipes (cheapest brand of course) around every where. It is so easy to just grab a wipe and wipe down the bathroom before you finish getting ready in the morning or before bed. The bathroom seems to stay much cleaner that way. As far as bills go, BILLPAY through the bank is the BEST!! Honestly they say that it is much safer than doing it through the mail! It makes life so much easier in that department!! I have encouraged a lot of my family to start it and once you start you won't regret it. I'm so excited to be getting back in touch with you and can hardly wait to read the rest of your blogs. Later ;-) Tracy