Thursday, August 20, 2015

Prayer Changes Things

I wish I had some miraculous story to tell you about a great miracle I have experienced recently after seeking God though prayer.  I wish I could tell you that God has made it clear to me that the personal struggles I am facing right now will miraculously disappear after crying out to Him. I wish I could declare at this very moment that all of my faults and failures will turn into blessings and successes in an instance after asking Him for grace. Its doesn't usually happen like that.  What I can tell you is that God tells us to do it, "to pray without ceasing...for this is the will  of God" and that "the prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective."  I am certainly no theologian, but I know that if God commands it, there is no doubt a purpose in it.

So, how can prayer change things? I have struggled with this question for some time, trying to rationalize how a sovereign God should in any way respond to my words. After all..."His ways are higher than mine ways, His thoughts higher than mine." I don't have an answer, but I do know that there has to be an explanation as to why prayer strengthens me. Knowing that others are praying for me uplifts me. Putting my trust in Him gives me hope. Prayer makes a difference. It changes my mood, my outlook, and turns my irrationality and despair into peace and hope. I can certainly slip back into hopelessness, but here come the prayers of the saints! Prayer changes things!

Prayer can also change our hearts. Being thankful to God for life, family, health, etc. simply gives me a grateful heart. Acknowledging God's unconditional love and knowing he wants me to become everything He created me to be opens my heart to receive His love and devotion. Repenting of my sins and failures cleans up my heart and allows me to receive the correction and transformation that i need. And, worshiping Him through prayer brings me closer to His "heart." Prayer changes things!

I wanted to therapeutically write this post to remind myself of what I know and believe and trust in. I need a reminder of this every minute of everyday. Maybe you do too!

3 comments:

Brenda said...

I've been having trouble leaving a comment. I'll try again. I am so glad you're blogging again! It's not only good for you but for us as well. This one is a good reminder for us all. Thank you and keep it up!

Alfred said...

When we pray, we acknowledge that we want to be in relationship with God, that he is important, and that we value his presence in our lives.

As we seek out this relationship with God, his response to us is "do not fear, for I am with you, do not be afraid for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my victorious right hand." Isa 41:10

Jenn said...

thanks,alfred! that's good stuff! mom, be patient with me. it may take a while to get going :)