Thursday, August 21, 2008

Oh, How I've Changed

A friend of mine from high school, who I haven't seen in more than a decade, contacted me last week on facebook. It got me to thinkin. She and I had alot in common...we were somewhat consumed with our appearance. We would both go directly to the bathroom between each class period and primp. My purse would be filled with makeup and hairspray and I would completely give myself a do-over every hour. Consumed, I tell you. Of course, this was the late 80's, early 90's and makeup and hairspray were much more important back then. I mean, how could I get my hair to stand up like that all day without carrying around a bottle of hairspray? And hoping not to portray myself as a vain person, I was the kind who could not pass by a mirror without taking a glance. I desired perfection and never feeling anywhere near that, I put forth MUCH effort.

Boy, how things have changed. I know that becoming a mother and not having much time to spend on myself has caused me to change in that area, but I think its more than that. Maybe finding a husband who loves me for who I am has changed me as well. And no offense to New Englanders, but living here has given me the green light to be, shall I say, more natural. Its definitely different from the South. When I was a teenager I actually knew a guy who would fix his hair just to go mow the yard. Those who knew me in high school would be blown away by the way I look sometimes going to the grocery store. Maybe its just growing up and realizing there are more important things to spend my time on. Needless to say, I have changed so much in this particular area of my life since then...yes, maybe too much. I think its important to take care of oneself and that leads me to one other thing....I lost 3 pounds on my first week of our Biggest Loser contest. I'll keep you posted on how I'm doing.
So, why don't you tell me how you have most changed since high school.

3 comments:

Jaime said...

I think alot of people would agree that you become less worried about what people think and less worried about fitting in to a certain group of people when you get older. I think I was too consumed and always stressed out about trying to "fit in" with a certain goup. Life is so much easier when you are more confident in yourself and those things don't matter anymore. It's alot less stressful being yourself. I'm so glad I am married to a man who let's me be me. He may look at me funny when I do handstands in the living room everynight during the Olympics (by the way I am getting really good at them) but we laugh about it. Life's too short to not let people see the "real" you.

Jenn said...

AMEN, SISTER :)

Anonymous said...

There is not enough room on this or any other blog space for me to list the ways in which I have change...phyically, emotionally, psychologically or any other number of changes.. let's just let it suffice that definitely ..change HAS occured and will not likely stop at any point soon....lol.

Linda