Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I'll Say a Little Prayer For You....

Bedtime in the Aaron household is probably not much different from your home...bath/shower, read a book, brush teeth, get tucked into bed, and then a prayer. Leading up to the prayer I usually say something like, "ok, guys let's pray now"... not a very exciting, spiritual, or memorable intro. Micah hasn't seemed to really get into it as he continues to play with the toys he has quietly assembled to join him in his bed. Well, when Grandma Rushing was here visiting, Micah developed a change of heart. My mom tucked the boys into bed one evening, and she said, "Let's talk to Jesus." Micah looked at her like she was from another planet and answered, "huh???"

I'm not sure exactly how the conversation transpired after that, but I do know ever since then Micah, who was always so indifferent to our nighttime "prayer," reminds me every night that we need to talk to Jesus. My mom's suggestion that evening really personalized it for him. When its his turn to pray, he often repeats much of my prayer, adds in a little something about dinosaurs and Pirates of the Carribean, and ends with "the end." And after reminding Josiah that its his turn and trying so desperately to get Jacob to join in, he then "allows" me to leave the room, but only because he's had about 14 kisses and we have talked to Jesus.

3 comments:

Brenda said...

That totally blesses my heart! Thanks for sharing.
Mom

Anonymous said...

It really comes down to perspectives doesn't it? Prayer has nothing to do with talking in his little mind...but then I prefer to think of it as talking to Jesus too... much more personal and not so "religious"...

Thanks Micah's grandmothr..for giving us a new perspective!

Linda

Alison said...

What a precious moment with your mom and her grandson and a good lesson for us all...don't forget that prayer is talking to Jesus.